Mental Health Professionals

Learn what type of provider is the best match for your needs.


Who should I go to if I am looking for talk therapy?

Psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy, is a collaboration between you and your provider grounded in dialogue. There are many approaches to psychotherapy and many types of providers that will equip you with the right skills to overcome the challenges you are facing. Mental health providers that are trained to provide psychotherapy include therapists, counselors, psychologists, clinical social workers and psychiatrists.

Who can prescribe medications?

Providers that are licensed to prescribe medicine include psychiatrists, advanced practice psychiatric nurses (a specific type of NP), primary care physicians and, depending on the state you live in and their licensing, clinical nurse specialists and physician assistants. These providers may even offer talk therapy if they have received additional training. Talk therapy can help you alongside medicine. However, not every person needs medication.

Do I need a diagnosis to receive care?

No, to benefit from mental health care you do not need a diagnosis. If you are looking for a diagnosis, a psychiatrist, psychologist and psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner can help you. However, not everyone who seeks mental healthcare needs or has a diagnosis.

I’'m under the age of 18, do I need parental consent to receive therapy?

You may or may not need to seek consent depending on your state’s laws. Here’s a review of state laws regarding parental consent for mental health treatment:
If you are at risk of harming yourself or others, call 1-800-273-8255 or text HOME to 741741